What is Jam
Jam can be defined as a cooked and jelled puree which has a thick consistency due to high pectin content. Some cook books also define it as a sweet and soft food which is made by cooking fruit with sugar in order to preserve it. Jams are made from the pulp and juice of one fruit and are used on bread. Jams can be made using bread makers at home and can also be bought from retail stores.
Home made jam is better
However, home made jam tastes better than ready made jam. There are various bread maker jams recipes but the procedure for doing it is almost all the same.
Why you need a bread maker to make jams
As you know, there are many ways that you can make jam. But using a bread maker would be a good choice. Your bread maker can make jam for you, this is a feature which is available in most bread makers. In most bread makers the setting is labelled “Jam or jelly”. People who have ever used the bread maker for their jam never go back to the traditional methods. It is a very easy process as it involves putting your ingredients in the pan and the bread maker does the mixing and cooking for you.
Below are some advantages of using the bread maker to make your jam;
1. No stack of dirty dishes to clean after the process. This is the most obvious one of them all as all you have to do is put your ingredients into the bread maker and it will mix them and make your jam. The pan is also relatively clean after compared to a saucepan.
2. More choice. If you have ever had the thought of making a pineapple jam then this is your chance to experiment. You can mix different flavors from the comfort of your home and make the best jam that works
3. Jam made at home in your bread maker is just amazing. It tastes better than the factory made jam and it leaves your home with a wonderful scent.
4. You can select the kind of sweetener that you want for your jam not forgetting the amount that you prefer. You can be able to choose between white sugar and brown sugar. Stevia is also another sweetener which is good for your jam. Some people may not like the taste of stevia but it is especially suitable for diabetics.
5. You can use excess fruit from your garden to make jam. This reduces the cost of making the bread maker jam. Even at the shop you can buy the over ripe fruits that are usually discounted, this will ensure that you have a very beautiful jam at a cheaper cost.
6. Bread maker jam is healthier than what you purchase at the shop. This is because you can make a simple jam with only a few ingredients. “For strawberry jam in a Sana Smart Bread maker you only need some citric acid, 500g of jam sugar and 1 kilo of strawberries”
7. With a bread maker machine you are assured of having similar and smooth results. This is because you only set the right temperature on your bread maker and the thermostat will work out the rest. The risk of burning is also eliminated.
8. Saves you a lot of time and energy that would have been spent on stirring and heating. All you need is the first 10 minutes for preparing your ingredients then you can leave your bread maker to do the rest. It usually takes around an hour and a half for completion of the jam cycle.
9. You do not need a lot of experience in the kitchen to be able to make a simple jam using your bread maker. The process is simple and anyone can do it.
Preparations before making jams using bread machine
The most important thing that you should know is that not all bread makers come with a special setting to make jam. So please confirm that your bread maker has this special feature. Bread makers are mostly preferred while making jams because they are automated and save on a lot of time and work. Similarly, while making the jam, the bread machine allows you to control what you need to add in the jam such as the sugar content. The procedure is easy and does not leave you with piled up dishes that you need to attend to afterwards. For which ever bread maker jams recipe you choose, there are various steps you need to take before starting off.
Get The Fruites
1 . The first step while making jam involves preparing the fruits. The fruits should be clean and can be soaked for 10 minutes in cold water then rinsed thoroughly. Fruits that can be used can include berries, mangoes, oranges, peaches etc. Large fruits such as apricots can also be cut up into small manageable pieces depending on the texture and consistency that you want.
Use The Right Sugar Content
2. The next thing that you need to think about is the sugar. This one varies depending on taste and preference but the standard ration is 1: 1 with the fruit.
Used Pectin When Needed
3. Pectin is a very important ingredient while making jams. Pectin helps the jam set. However there are fruits that contain high levels of pectin naturally such as; Gooseberries, Blackcurrants, Redcurrants, White currants, Blueberries.
Other fruits such as strawberries and raspberries do not contain any pectin at all. In order to be safe you can add 3g of pectin per recipe. This applies even to the fruits high in pectin. For fruits low in pectin you can add up to 13g and this can be done in three main ways:
By using jam sugar which is already prepared with pectin and is readily available in all retail stores.
Buying pectin sachets and adding them to the sugar which is the cheapest approach.
By combining them with one of the higher pectin fruits.
4. The bread machine settings should also be keenly noted before starting off. One rule that applies to all is that jam should only be made in bread machine that has the specific and unique jam and jelly setting. This is because the operation of the paddle and the temperature settings cannot be improvised with any other setting as they are unique for jam and jellies only.
Check Your Pan
The integrity of the bread pan should also be checked. Bread machines with the jam and jelly feature have bread pans with a unique bearing under the kneading puddle. This helps in preventing any liquid from leaking through the bearing to the bread maker. You can test your bread pan by simply pouring a couple of cups of water and letting it sit on the kitchen counter for about 20 minutes. After that,you can lift the pan to see if any water has leaked onto the counter top.
5. The next step is cutting up the prepared fruits and mashing them with a potato masher. In a bowl mix the sugar and pour the mixture onto the bread pan. After that, select the jam setting and begin to cycle. The jam is mixed by the paddle in the middle of the pan and this takes about an hour and twenty minutes at most. When done,lift the lid of the bread maker machine and let it cool off for about 30 minutes. Pour the jam into jars and let it rest for about three hours before storing it in a refrigerator.
About Handling jams
Dealing with jams can be an headache if you do not have the right guidelines.
The first thing that you should note is that the finished jam will be very hot. It is therefore important to let it rest with the lid open after the cycle is complete for about 30 minutes.
The second thing that you should note is that in case of any leakages from the machine you can remove the pan using kitchen gloves or pot holders.
Thirdly, the jam may still be a bit runny even after refrigeration. This can be handled by adding a little more pectin to it untill you get the desired teture.
The fourth thing you should note is that while handling multiple batches, you should do them separately since doubling the recipe may cause the jam not to set properly.
About How To Store Your Jams
The last step after making the jams involves storage. Jam is usually stored in jars in a fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Glass bottles are preferred since they are the best for freezing and allow expansion. The bottles and lids should be sterilized before storage for about 5-10 minutes by boiling them in hot water.
Use Good Glass bottles
Before adding the hot jam, you should also ensure that you heat the jars to ensure that they are still hot by the time you fill them up. You can aslo check the seal through pressing on the centre of the cooled lid. The jar should not flex up or down if it is sealed. If the seal is lose, condiser refrigerating immediately or re-processing. More so, if you are re-using old jars, you should check for any cracks and chips by running a finger around the rim to enusre that it is smooth and undamaged. The jars should also be washed in cold soapy water to remove any sticky residue on the outside before refrigerating.
Need the bread maker jams recipe?
Hawthorn jam Panasonic bread maker
2. Add 100ml or less water, no water is ok, it depends on you
3. add sugar
4. Begin your bread maker, maker sure to use the jam feature
Bread maker Mango jam
Mango 435 g
sugar 68 g
Maltose 29 g
Lemon juice 2 tablespoons (30ml)
1. slice mango
2. Put all the Ingredients into the bread maker pan, use the plastic wrap to cover the pan in the first 15 minutes. Then remove the plastic wrap
3. Put the jam into the bottle before refrigerating
1. It needs 65 minutes to finish the processing using my bread maker, for the first 15 minutes, you should use the plastic wrap to prevent the jam from dropping out. Then just remove the plastic wrap, then just let bread maker do its job
2. You can use vinegar instead of Lemon juice, withour Maltose, just use
honey, opt to add more or less sugar, it depends on you.
3. Wash your bottle using boiling water before you put all jams into it.
Blueberry jam bread maker recipe
Lemon juice 10g
1. Wash the Blueberries
2. put the Blueberries and sugar into the pan, put the sugar and lemon juice into the pan.
3. Begin your bread maker using the jam feature
Healthy pineapple jams recipe by bread maker
I don’t like jams bought from local shop. Jams made by myself are better, I think
One Peeled pineapple, about 500 g
Corn starch 20 g
sugar 80 g
1. peel the pineapple, sometimes let the seller do this for you.
2. cut the pineapple into small pieces, use the mixer to smash into the mud
3. pour the pineapple mud, starch and sugar into the pan
4. Select the jam feature to begin, wait for finishing.
You can use less or more starch and sugar, it depends on you. The pineapple is acid, there is no need to add lemon juice. Add more sugar if you like sweet.
Strawberry jam by bread maker
After finishing strawberries jams, you can keep them in the fridge for a long time. Eating jams with bread, mixing jams with yogurt, both are very nice. Now you can make your won jams easily, especially when you have your bread maker.
Strawberries 460 g
White sugar 135 g
The right amount of lemon juice
1. Wash the strawberries, then Marinate them with sugar. Wait for at least 3 hours.
2. Pour the strawberries into the pan
3. Add sugar and lemon juice
4. Begin the bread maker using its jam feature
5. Done, delicious
Wash your bottle used for jams with boiling water, more sugar, longer Shelf Life, I use less sugar in this recipe, because the strawberries contain lots of sugar. Use a dry spoon to get jams in case of getting bad.
The bread maker jams recipe is very simple but careful consideration should be made on the portions and ripeness of the fruit. Pectin should also be considered as an option for jams that need a little more firmness. Similarly, safety precautions should be adhered to while handling the bread maker machine. You can also opt for fruit combinations if you are a bit more adventurous and see what you will come out with.